Dyson is getting into headphones in the most Dyson way possible: the Zone, a pair of noise-canceling Bluetooth headphones with built-in air-purifier, thanks to a magnetic face visor.
The new headphones look like something you'd expect to see in a sci-fi movie. But the company says it's actually a real device you'll be able to buy sometime this fall.
An announcement from some days ago is just an initial reveal of the Zone headphones ahead of a release date, and Dyson isn’t announcing yet specific details like price or specifications (including how much the headphones weigh or how long the battery will last) at this time. But, it seems safe to assume that these will cost more than your typical premium noise-canceling headphones from Bose and Sony, and maybe even more than Apple's AirPods Max headphones.
How the air-purifier works
The air purification half of the Zone doesn’t reinvent the wheel for Dyson, a company that's best known for its high-end vacuum cleaners. Instead, it miniaturizes the company’s existing air filtration technology into a unique form factor. "The compressors in each ear cup draw air through the dual-layer filters and project two streams of purified air to the wearer's nose and mouth, channeled through the non-contact visor," Dyson explains. "Sculpted returns on the visor ensure purified airflow is kept near to the nose and mouth and diluted as little as possible by external crosswinds."
According to Dyson, the air-filtration component is a "non-contact" system, which means it doesn't touch your face like a mask but rather sits just in front of it.
The audio side
On the audio side, Dyson says you can expect a premium listening experience with an accurate, neutral audiophile sound profile and proprietary advanced noise canceling. The headphones are also designed with comfort in mind. Each ear cup houses two motors, and Dyson says they're the smallest in any of its machines to date. The headphones connect via Bluetooth -- no word on what version number -- and can also be used to make voice calls.
The Zone’s key features
According to Dyson, the Zone will have the following:
- Radical new format for delivering purified air and high-fidelity audio on-the-go
- Electrostatic filtration captures 99% of particle pollution as small as 0.1 micron, such as dust, pollen and bacteria
- Contact-free air delivery visor channels two streams of purified air to the nose and mouth, engineered specifically for usage outdoors and in crosswinds
- Advanced ANC (active noise canceling) and a high performing neodymium electroacoustic system deliver rich, immersive audio that faithfully replicates audio as the artist or creator intended
- Isolation mode: Highest level of active noise cancellation
- Conversation mode: Activates when you dip the visor –- automatically turns off the purification to conserve battery power and amplifies the conversation